Moose File System v 1.6.24 released
Finally, after quite a long break, we release next stable version 1.6.24. Most important changes include:
- There is no more filesize limit of 2TiB, now a file can occupy up to 128PiB
- Chunkservers do not check attributes of every chunk during initialization which speeds up starting of CS
- Added 'test' command - checks if process is running and returns its PID
- Added lockfile/pidfile and actions such as 'start', 'stop','restart' and 'test' for mfscgiserv
- Added simple net topology support ("rack awareness") - please have a look at mfstopology.cfg
- In case of an error (including a case of no space left on master hdd) master server saves metadata file to alternative locations
- Added hidden files '.oplog' and '.ophistory' with detailed information about current/historical operations performed by mfsmount - it is possible to read pid/uid/gid and operation type on the file made by the client
- Now a password for mounting can be kept in mfsmount.cfg (instead of fstab, which was readable by everyone)
- Introduced symlink cache on client (mfsmount) side
- Fixed problem with frequent connections to the master server. Now it is not necessary to establish new connection while creating many snapshots or using mfstools (proxy in mount for mfstools)
IMPORTANT: Metadata format has not changed, but if you start to have files bigger than 2TiB it won't be possible to downgrade to 1.6.20.
The recommended upgrade order is as usual: mfsmaster, then metaloggers, then chunkservers and at last client machines.
2012-03-15 08:00 by Michał Borychowski (comments: 6)